What are the chances of recurrence of melanoma in situ?

Dr. M Y Shareef

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 28 Jan 2015 in Skin Cancer
Question: Had melanoma in situ removed this week.Mole has been on leg most of life and only looked slightly enlarged. Clean margins first time. Doctors called it early evolving. Should be calm but after reading much about melanoma am still uneasy. My dermatologist only used naked eye to access during initial body scan. Will be returning for follow up next week. Should she use equipment this time for more in depth analysis? Also started dyeing grey hair 5 years back (now 56) and want to know if it is recommended not to apply any chemicals since melanoma has been diagnosed. Also, should I have two doctors give assessment on skin exams just to decrease odds that something will be missed? Thank you.
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
In situ melanoma has got an excellent prognosis statistically.

Detailed Answer:
Hi ! Good evening. I am Dr Shareef, a general surgeon answering your query.

From the histology report of "in situ" and "the margins being clean" as mentioned by you, I would suggest you not to worry much though be vigilant on the matter. Statistically in situ melanomas have got excellent prognosis and usually do not have any regional or distant spread of the disease, which must have been confirmed by your treating doctors. However, as I already told you that one ought to be vigilant, and so they would be calling you for a review at regular intervals may be in 6 months to one year.

So far as the dyeing of hair is concerned, I would definitely advise you to avoid as this might precipitate adverse chemical reactions to your skin.

Having a second opinion on any health problem is not a bad proposition and this option would be always open for you. However, please do carry all the treatment and investigation reports along with you to the doctor.

I hope this information would help you in discussing with your family physician/treating doctor in further management of your problem. Please do not hesitate to ask in case of any further doubts.

Thanks for choosing health care magic to clear doubts on your health problems. I wish you an early recovery. Dr Shareef.