What are the chances of pregnancy despite taking Depo-Provera shot?

Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 7 Oct 2015 in Women's Health
Question: I got the depo provera shot two and a half months ago. The shot wasn't given while on my period, it was given while I was ovulating and my doctor didn't tell me I had to use back up protection for 7 days so I had unprotected sex more than once. two weeks later I started very light spotting for ten days but never had a period or any bleeding after that. The only time I bleed a little now is after sex. Since then I've been exhausted, having abdominal cramps and backaches, my breasts are bigger and I'm sometimes nauseous. I took a couple home pregnancy tests which were negative. Could I still be pregnant?
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The chances are low but not rule out 100%.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Thanks for trusting hcm about your health care.
I have gone through your history and understand your concerns.
If your pregnancy test is negative than the chances of pregnancy are quite low in your case but it is not 100%.
As pregnancy test should be done 7 days after your missed period than it gives the better results.
So you should wait and watch for your menses.
These symptoms can be due to hormonal changes.
Hope found useful, feel free to ask more information.
Good luck.