What are the causes for swollen and inflamed taste buds?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Sat, 19 Jan 2013 in Dental Health
Question: What causes your taste buds to be swollen and inflamed? I do have dry mouth also at night.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later

Thanks for the query
The most common causes for swollen and inflamed taste buds are
Consumption of hot and spicy foods
Deficiency of certain minerals and vitamins like B COMPLEX 
Allergy to some food stuffs like lemons or grapefruits or some sauces
Mouth ulcers
Consumption of toxins like alcohol,tobacco smoking etc
Acid reflux may also cause inflammation of taste buds,as in your case.

Causes for dry mouth may be 
Use of various medications like antidepressants,anti asthmatics,pain killers,sedatives etc.
Chronic tonsillitis
Mouth breathing
Diabetes
Rare causes could be salivary gland tumors etc

Since you are taking ATIVAN and BENADRYL,these both medication can cause dry mouth.

I hope it helps however you may revert to me if any other query is to be asked.
Best of luck
Thanks