What are chances of colon cancer recurrence?

Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 23 May 2014 in Cancer
Question: I had colon cancer(adenomatous,arising in a polyp)fourteen years ago...I have had some uti's and some lower left quantrant pains near pubic bone...felt like a stone. My CEA is 2.9 and both abdominal and intravaginal ultrasounds negative.My remaining left overy is atrophied.I am afraid of recurrence.I am scheduled for an abdominal ct scan next week.Can you please give me some insight as to what is going on....I am having panic attacks
Is my MD just being cautious or is a 2.9 CEA that concerning..I am a non-smoker and unaware of previous CEA results.I had a colonoscopy 2 months ago/negative. If I had metastatic lesions from some lingering cells would I not have more symptoms or blood test irregularities?The previous cancer was taken out at colonoscopy...surrounding tissue showed no neoplasm(1998).I have been screened every year,,,then three years...no blood in stool. Suddenly allergic to antibiotics...don't no if this is relevant.Thank you
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to HCM.

Detailed Answer:
I dont think that you should be concerned. These are just slightly elevated CEA and even considered normal by some authors. this is not indicating recurence.
Also, recurrence usually occcur within 2 years and rarely after 5,especially after 10. considering that this was just carcinoma in situ in popyp then possiblity of recurrence is even lower. it means that the worst scenario would be cancer de novo,but if you dont have symptoms and there is neg stool test, this is not likely.
although, ultrasound and even ct scan arent specific enough for colon cancer and colonoscopy would be better solution for ruling out possible tumor. I would advise to do it for prevention,but all in all there is no need to be concerned. Wish you good health. Regards
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 16 minutes later
What about lower right quandrant pain..i was woried about ovarian cancer.The intravaginal ultrasound was.neg...is it still possible to have a symptomatic malignancy?I read about diverticulosis csusing similar pain.. and bloating.Sorry to sound neurotic but I watched 3 family members die of coloncancet.It hurts now..some bloating
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 2 days later
Brief Answer:
hi

Detailed Answer:
I understand your concerns but cancer is the last thing to think of. of course,because of its seriousity, it must be ruled out. such pain can be caused by many things. usually this is just some benign functional bowel disorder. also diverticulosis with/without diverticulitis as well. CT should be able to show diverticulitis or any ovarian mass, but as I said any colon cancer recurence isnt likely to be causing your symptoms. YOu should also check ovarian cancer markers just to be sure that there is no some abnormality.