Wednesday I was up all morning with diarrhea and very

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Sat, 12 Jan 2019 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Wednesday I was up all morning with diarrhea and very bad stomach cramps. The diarrhea then turned to bloody mucus with the same stomach cramps. That happened just about every hour for four or five hours . I went to bed and woke up Thursday fine. No blood no stool little cramps. Thursday at bedtime I was very constipated. When that finally moved it was a bloody stool then pretty much back to normal. But now friday, I've been doing pretty good except now i'm having terrible back pain (like kidney area) and still very much constipated.

Thanks Nancy
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pain is due to constipation.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,
Thanks for choosing 'Ask a doctor' service for your query.

As of now the pain you are having may be either due to constipation or infection in urinary tract secondary to gastrointestinal infection.

When a person is constipated bad colonies of bacteria and yeast are formed inside the intestines. They act on stagnated food and releases gas as a result of fermentation. This would cause compression of nerves in intestines resulting in inflammation. As nerve supply is almost common inflammation may radiate from gut to renal area.

Therefore I would suggest you go for two tests:

1) Stool routine microscopy and culture to find out amoebic or Bacterial E.coli in stool as there is mucous and blood both.
2) Urine test to see if there are bacteria in urine like E.coli etc.

As of now take any over the counter probiotic with an anti-inflammatory like Diclofenac tablet.
Please also follow up with report my dear,
Hope I was helpful,
Feel free to ask further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 16 hours later
Thank you for your advice. I will contact my primary care physician on Monday to ask for the recommended labs. I suspected E coli.
Can E coli be treated at home? Does it have to "run it's course" or do I have to take medication to get rid of it?

Thanks again
Nancy
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take the course of antibiotics medication for 5 days.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again my dear,
Yes, E.coli can be easily treated at home unless and otherwise, symptoms are very severe like severe vomiting diarrhoea dropping pulse and blood pressure.

You need to take a course of antibiotics i.e. Tab Ciprofloxacin-Covers gram negative e.coli bacteria for 5 days with Metronidazole 400 mg thrice daily for 5 days for protozoal coverage.

For both, you need a prescription.

Hope I was helpful,
Please feel free to follow up,
Get well soon.