Owl Image

Vomiting, abdominal pain, nausea and weight loss. Test showed elevated liver enzymes. Cause?

Owl Image
Dr. Charles S Narasi

Gastroenterologist

Question
I am a 51 yr old female. I have had a total hysterectomy. For the past two months I have had lots of issues with vomitting, diarrehea, lower abdominal discomfort and cramping, stomache pain, loss of appetite, unintentional weight loss (20-25 lbs), nauseaus. I have had blood work which shows elevated liver enzymes, and high calcium in my blood (10.6). I do not know what the liver enzyme levels were.
Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 24 minutes later
Hello, XXXXXXX,
You have a recent onset of lower abdominal pain, nausea,
vomimting ,diarrhea and considerable weight loss. This is
of concern along with your elevated liver enzymes and calcium
levels. You need a very complete work up. This should include
CT-Scan of the abdomen and pelvis along with some cancer
markers such as CEA,CA-19-9,AFP (Alpha feto protein) etc.
You also need to have tests for Celiac disease and IBD markers.
(Inflammatory Bowel Disease ) to rule out Crohn's disease.
You may need endoscopic examination of your stomach and
colon to check the last part of the small bowel called the Ileum
to look if there is evidence of inflammation. You need to check
your stool for hidden blood, if there is no obvious bleeding.
You need to have Thyroid and Parathyroid glad blood tests
to look for over activity of these glands. Parathyroid gland
is responsible for calcium metabolism and any excess acitivity
due to tumor in this gland can cause diarrhea and incresed
calcium.
I hope that I have given you enough information for you to
discuss with your own doctor to have these studies done.
I wish you the very best.

Follow-up: Vomiting, abdominal pain, nausea and weight loss. Test showed elevated liver enzymes. Cause? 17 hours later
My doctor is doing a wait and see thing. However,my symptoms are persisting. Should I get another opinion? What do you recommend?

Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 10 minutes later
Hello, XXXXXXX,
Your symptoms are serious enough that you want
to find out sooner than later when complications
can set in.
Second opinion is worth with more information
that you have now.
Wish you well.

Follow-up: Vomiting, abdominal pain, nausea and weight loss. Test showed elevated liver enzymes. Cause? 4 hours later
I have already had PTH checked. Dr says it is in the normal range. That is why she wants to recheck my calcium level in about a month.

Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 3 hours later
Hello, XXXXXXX,
It is perfectly fine to recheck the lab results. But you do
need lot more to look for than what has been done so till
now.
Good luck.