Using novex ds for heavy bleeding. Started getting delayed periods. Any advice?

Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Question: I AM USING NOVEX DS FOR LAST 2 MONTHS FOR HEAVY BLEEDING. AFTER USING IT MY PERIODS ARE DELAYED BY OVER A MONTH. IS THERE ANY PROBLEM. MAY PLEASE ADVISE. THANKING YOU
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 30 minutes later
Novex DS is a hormonal drug.Its side effect is delayed or prolonged bleeding.At age 47,i dont recommend that you use a estrogen based drug.
You should first be examined and a pelvic examination will reveal whether the uterus is normal in size/shape or enlarged.If its normal in size then there are 2 options for the heavy bleeding.Either you are perimenopausal,which you are in the right age group for,or there is something called dysfunctional uterine bleeding.Both can be controlled by progesterone therapy.If you have no sensitivity to progesterone,then i would recommend that.If the pelvic exam reveals enlarged uterus then i would advise an ultrasound.

Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 22 hours later
after performing Dilation and Curettage sample was sent for pathology. diagnoised as endometrisis. For 6 months before d & C Mefrate was used. no relief. So now Novex DS was prescribed.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 31 minutes later
If the D/C said endometritis,then thats an infection of the endometrial lining.You will need antibiotics for at least 7 days. But the dysfunctional bleeding may or may not be due to the endometritis. Meprate is a progesterone but several types of them are available.including Mirena which is a progesterone based intrauterine system. I however, wouldnt recommed estrogen based drugs in someone your age. The delayed cycles you are having now may be due to the Novex DS.