Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Underweight, depressed, stressed. How can confidence be gained, treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 5143 Questions
What kind of doctor should I seek out for help dealing with being underweight. I am 24 years old, 5'7" and weight about 110-115 llbs from day to day it seems. I think it might be that I am depressed and stressed all the time. Ive always been very small stature d and thin but in highschool I weighed around 120-125. Is there any medication I can ask a doctor to help with this problem. It's really killing my confidence.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Hello Mr. Longhorn,

Thank you for posting your query.

I understand your concern.

You have provided with good information, I appreciate it. In order to guide you appropriately, I will need a few more details regarding your problem, so please answer the following questions in as much detail as possible.

1. Do you have any of these, chronic cough, diarrhea, joint pains, weakness, racing heart, weakness ?

2. Has there been a recent change in sleep, appetite, mood throughout the day, general activity ?

It appears that you have trouble gaining weight. This has been going on probably since adolescence years, getting worse.

There are many possible causes of weight loss and failure to gain weight. Common causes include constitutional causes which may be due to genetic and familial reasons, infections, chronic inflammatory diseases, connective tissue disorders, tumors, psychiatric disorders like anxiety, depression etc.

Since you have been losing weight quickly it needs to be investigated. You can consult a leading General Physician or Specialist in XXXXXXX Medicine first to perform thorough investigations like blood work, required radiological scanning and testing for specific organ systems as well.

Eat high protein diet, plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink plenty of water. Do daily brisk walking, do muscle building exercises at gym which will help build muscle bulk and weight. Do Yoga to relieve stress.

Do not worry. It would be best to consult with a Psychiatrist with issues concerning sleep, depression, confidence issues.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing you good health.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Underweight, depressed, stressed. How can confidence be gained, treatment? 3 hours later
Well I have none of the symptoms you mentioned in 1., but I do have trouble making myself fall asleep at night and it isn't uncommon for me to wake up in the middle of the night. I'm almost positive I have depression and from what I have read that can be a major factor, as I am already naturally thin. I've read that dealing with the depression will get my appetite going again and that the medications usually make people gain weight, which would be a bonus for my small frame. I guess my real question is should I see a doctor for depression or for being underweight, as I feel like they are linked. Thank you, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 8 hours later
Hi there.

Thanks for the reply.

Depression is usually associated with weight gain or weight loss. In some persons, weight loss and trouble falling asleep could be major problems along with appetite issues.

If you have a low mood constantly throughout the day, sleep problems etc. it would be wise to consult with a Psychiatrist to resolve these issues.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor