Unable to bend knee completely but no problem in walking. What can be the cause?

Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Wed, 11 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: When I try to completely bend my knee I seem to not be able to. After bending about 90% it almost feels like there's no more room for my leg to bend but there is. I also feel it when fully extended with my legs crossed. I have no problem walking or riding a bike everyday but I cannot kneel down on that knee. Any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: Might be due to Patello-femoral problems. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Based on the description of symptoms, I suspect that you might be suffering with patello-femoral arthralgia (involvement of the knee cap and the joint surface of the distal thigh bone) resulting in typical symptoms. A detailed clinical examination, Xrays of the knee joint -special views like Skyline view, arthroscopic examination along with MRI scan of the knee joint will help in establishing the correct diagnosis. Treatment of this condition often begins with simple measures. -Rest your knee as much as possible. Avoid any activities that increase the pain such as climbing stairs and deep knee bending movements. - If needed, take over-the-counter pain relievers such as acetaminophen, ibuprofen or naproxen. - Weight loss alone will often fix the problem if you are substantially overweight. - Specific exercises can strengthen the muscles that support your knees and control limb alignment, such as your quadriceps, hamstrings and the muscles around your hips (especially the hip abductors). They are done individually on a daily basis for at least three months. - Knee braces or arch supports may help protect your joint and improve the alignment of your kneecap. Bracing involves control of the tracking position of the patella and restriction of full knee flexion. - Icing your knee after exercise may be especially helpful. - Bracing or taping the patella can help you do exercises and activities with less pain. The idea is that by bracing or taping the knee, the patella stays in better alignment within the femoral groove. This in turn is thought to improve the pull of the quadriceps muscle so that the patella stays lined up in the groove. Patients report less pain and improved function with these forms of treatment. - Corticosteroid injections in to the knee joint will be helpful for a severe flare-up pain I suggest you to consult an orthopedic surgeon for a detailed evaluation and further management. Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to guide you further Regards