Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
142 Doctors are Online

Ultrasound showed gall stone, bulky uterus and thick endometrial echoes. Abnormal periods at the age of fifty-three

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 4036 Questions
Hello DR. My mother is 53 yrs old and still gets her periods but from past an year it is abnormal once in 2-3 months... She has got her abdominal ultrasound done and the impression are as under:

Large solitary gallstone-25 mm
Bulky uterus with an anterior right lateral wall subserous fibroid-5.0 cm
Thick endometrial echoes-20 mm

Please suggest wat can be done is there anything serious
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query.

I can appreciate your concern.

There are 2 noticeable finding in her ultrasound report.

1. Gall stone: The size is big and I think you need to consult a surgeon for this. Depending upon the problem that she might have like indigestion etc.the doctor will advise treatment. In most of the cases removal of gall bladder is the only solution which can be offered. Still your doctor will be better person to advice on this.

2. The main concern which is having right now: is irregularity in periods. Ultrasound is suggestive of fibroid: means a ball like structure in the wall of uterus which may be reason for pain and irregular bleeding. Her endometrium (the lining of uterine cavity) is thick. This could be due to some hormonal imbalance or some other abnormality.

There is nothing serious but it needs proper evaluation and treatment.

Please visit a gynaecologist who will examine her and depending upon the complains and other things treatment like medicines etc. will be suggested.

I hope this helps and clarify your concern.

Do write again if you have something more to ask.

In case you do not have further query, please accept the answer.



Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor