Ultra sound showed mild fatty infiltration of liver. What should be done?

Dr. Ratnakar Kini

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I have done Ultra Sound of comlete abodomen in feb 2012 & in oct 2012 wherein liver was fatty gd-2. All other organ were normal. LFT was normal.
i have reduced the wt from75 to 72 kg and changed food habit. Now today ie 23rd dec2012, i got my US done. It shows now as Generalised increase in parenchymal echotexure suggestive of mild fatty infilteration of liver. other parts are normal.
Pl tell me whether things are improved or not?
What should I do next?
Thanks, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX Age:-51yrs
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 13 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini, Gastroenterologist and I am pleased to answer your query.
The latest ultrasound report says, you still have fatty liver. It is still the same.

The following should be done -

1. If you consume alcohol, abstain from it.
2. Keep your BMI to less than 25
3. Get a liver function test done to see if it is just a simple fatty liver or steatohepatitis.
4. Discuss with your doctor about taking UDCA which helps in fatty liver.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 22 minutes later
My LFT is normal. Is today status is better than fatty liver grade -2 Status of liver?
I got checked the all report from gastrologist at Appolo Delhi Dr Baroor, he said nothing to worry, take less oily food, do walk regular?
He added vit -E and Pentacid.
Pl rply my first querry.
What is LDCA
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 1 hour later
You have not mentioned about the grade of the fatty liver in the latest scan. But the description you have given is suggestive of Grade I fatty liver which indicates it is better than before.
UDCA is a medication that is known to protect the liver.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Follow up: Dr. Ratnakar Kini 18 minutes later
no gd given in my today report for fattyliver. only suggestive mild fatty liver shown.
what it mean in comparision to old status ie gd-2.
shoud i continue my present life style for improvment
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 8 hours later
I have mentioned in my previous post that the description is suggestive of grade I.
So it is a milder one compared to the earlier state.
Moreover with a normal liver function test, a fatty liver is harmless.
Yes, continue with the present lifestyle.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini