Trying to get pregnant. Missing periods. HPT negative. Started spotting. Implantation bleeding?

Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Women's Health
Question: Hi, I'm 36, husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for 6 months. Am due for period in 5 days, and this morning had red blood and stringy brownish-reddish clots. Pregnancy test was negative, but it was really too early to test for it (it's an early preg. test but for 4 days before missed period). Have heard of implantation bleeding but nothing I've read said anything about clots. I have NEVER had a clot before, and I've been getting my period for a long time. My doctor is closed today because of Christmas, but I'm concerned about the clot and the bleeding. The bleeding was only during the first time I went to the bathroom this morning.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 30 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Firstly.if you are due to for your period in few days time,and the pregnancy test is negative then there isnt any chance for a early miscarriage.Implantation bleeding occurs 7-10 days after ovulation which if you have a regular cycle,should be between day 21-23 of your cyles.In rare circumstances when delayed ovulation occurs,then implantation may occur later.In this case,there may be a small chance of that happening because you should be around day 23-24 of your cycle? Well, if thats the case(mild brown-reddish discharge may be seen ) then its too early to get a positive pregnancy test.You should wait a few more days and see of the bleeding continues or not.Either you will get spontaneous menses or delayed .If you do get you menses then you have to try in the next cycle.If you dont bleed anymore,and miss your period, wait at least 7-10 days to repeat the test.Some times a failed implantation may show some small clots,but there's nothing to do about that now. Just wait and watch over the next few days.