Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
199 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Treatment for renal cortical cyst, prostatic cyst and prostatomegaly?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 454 Questions
hello sir,
My father has been diagnosed with type 1 left renal cortical cyst of 5.2 cm and 4.1 cm and beside this, he has also been diagnosed with 10 mm prostatic cyst and Grade 1 prostatomegaly, however both kidneys are normal in size. what could be the most effective treatment for this.

Posted Tue, 2 Apr 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 1 hour later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

As per the details you have given, your father is having renal cortical cysts and prostatomegaly. Let me assure you that these renal cortical cysts are common ultrasonogram finding incidentally seen in old ages especially. Most of the time, these renal cortical cysts are asymptomatic and they doesn't cause any problems. Prostatomegaly is also common when the age advances. This condition is known as BPH (Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy).

Coming to the treatment, asymptomatic renal cysts doesn't require any treatment, but serial ultrasonogram is indicated to watch their prognosis. If the renal cortical cyst got infected or if it is malignant, then you should think about the surgical options, recommended by a urologist.
For prostatomegaly grade -1, medical treatment will be sufficient. But over a period of time, if the prostate volume increases and if it become grade 2 or grade3, better to have a surgery from a urologist.

Anyway, I advise you to consult a nephrologist and get done the urine analysis to rule out any infection or haematuria, and follow the instructions of nephrologist and urologist.

I hope this answer will help you a lot.
If any further queries, you are welcome,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor