Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Treatment for degenerative disk disease?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
what treatment is available for degenerative disk disease when surgery is not an option
Posted Mon, 3 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Thanks for the query.
Degenerative disk disease ( DDD ) is a condition which can be painful and really disturb the quality of life.
Although disc degeneration is normal as you age and may not cause problems in many people but for some people it can cause severe chronic pain.

Often, degenerative disc disease can be successfully treated without surgery. 
One can opt a single treatment or a combination of treatments like
Anti inflammatory medications
Spinal traction
Spinal injections
Chiropractic manipulation etc....
However if a person doesn't get relief in 3 o 4 months or if there is severe leg or back pain or some weakness in legs or sone difficulty in walking and standing,then surgery is recommended.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor