Treated for chest infection. On contraceptive implant. Feeling tired. HPT negative. Concerned

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 8 Jan 2013 in Birth Control
Question: I was on the medication
Codydramol
Prednisolone
Erythromocicin
Metronidazole
Doxycycline

for nearly 2 weeks due to a severe tooth and chest infection between the 13th November and the 25th November. I am currently on the contraceptive implant but I do still get regular periods every month, the last one starting on the 13th November. I've been having a lot of sickness and general tired and feeling unwell over the past few days but took a home pregnancy test this morning which came out negative.

Would it be worth going to see a doctor?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
The medicines you have taken are likely to decrease the efficacy of your contraceptive. Now that your pregnancy test is negative, you can wait for a week for your periods to start. In case the periods do not come then repeat pregnancy test will help in ruling out the pregnancy.
You can also consult your gynecologist who after getting serum HCG levels evaluated will help in ruling out the pregnancy earlier.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 days later
The doctor completely dismissed the idea of pregnancy and refused to look at HCG levels as she said the implant felt fine and they weren't likely to affect it.

I still feel very strange and showing a lot of pregnancy symptoms, is there anything I should look out for?
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The strange feeling you have might be due to the anxiety related to this issue. Just be relaxed and wait for your periods. None of the symptoms do conclusively indicate pregnancy.
You can repeat the pregnancy test for your peace of mind. It predicts accurately if done 15 days after the last unprotected intercourse.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.