Took loestrin fe along with tetracycline. Had unprotected sex. Any chances of pregnancy?

Dr. Monika Choudhary

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 19 Dec 2012 in Birth Control
Question: I RECENTLY STARTED TAKING LO LOESTRIN FE AND STARTED ON THE SUNDAY OF MY PERIOD. AT THE TIME I STARTED TAKING IT I WAS ALSO TAKING TETRACYCLINE FOR MY SKIN AND MY GYNO WAS AWARE OF THIS BUT SAID NOTHING OF IT BECOMING LESS EFFECTIVE. I STOPPED THE TETRACYCLINE TWO WEEKS AGO AND AM NOW ON THE FOURTH DAY OF THE 2ND PACK OF BC. LAST NIGHT I HAD UNPROTECTED SEX WITH MY PARTNER. SHOULD I BE CONCERNED ABOUT PREGNANCY AND GETTING THE MORNING AFTER PILL. COULD THE ANTIBIOTIC OF MESSED WITH THE EFFECTIVENESS OF THE BIRTH CONTROL EVEN AFTER TWO WEEKS OF NON USE?
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 1 hour later
Tetracycline can have interaction with birth control pills by delaying absorption of estrogen.
However there is no need of any extra precaution after one week of non use of antibiotic.
As you have already left it for two weeks, so do not worry & continue your birth control pills.
I hope your query has been answered. I will be available for your further queries.