Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

Tight penile foreskin, lack of complete erection, anxiety. Need help

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1995
Answered : 4036 Questions
I am 29 year old male married for last 1.5 years. We have not been able to consummate our wedding - no emotional or love problem. Its either psychological (fear, anxiety) or physical. Now on physical problem, I feel my erection is not fully hard and one of the reasons could be that my foreskin at penis is very tight - it does not retract back at all. Is this normal? or should the foreskin necessary retract back at least a bit. What is the solution. Thanks for your help !
Posted Thu, 5 Jul 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 28 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

First of all please relax; unconsummated marriages are not uncommon. The problem is always multifactorial.

First of all when ever there is erection the foreskin retracts back exposing the glans penis which is the most sensitive part of penis.When you get excited the blood flow in the veins of penis increase and you get an erection.After that during sexual act this stimulation of glans penis helps in maintaining erection due to friction.

The best thing for you is to visit a general surgeon in your city and get your self examined. My impression is that you are having phimosis and you need a minor procedure called circumcision for this.

After that I think your majority of problem is taken care off. Please remove fear from your mind about powerful erection.Talk to your partner share your ideas, liking and disliking. Ask her about her preferences. When doing the act please try to have clear mind and avoid performance pressure.

Keep an open mind and fears away. Try to have sex early in morning, in morning the male hormones are on higher side which makes erection stronger and lasting.
Again in morning hours you’re both are relaxed.

Also note that penetrative sex is just one third of entire act. Do spend good time in fore play that helps a lot.

By the time you consult a doctor please use condom during sex, which will help.

If nothing works as suggested above then please consult a doctor for this who can look for some specific problem and suggest a solution for this.

Please make sure that you do not consult any so called sexologist for this. Your family doctor is the best person who can suggest good doctor for this.

I hope this helps.

Please write again if you have something more to ask, in case of no further query please accept the answer.

Wishing you a happy and healthy marriage life.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Tight penile foreskin, lack of complete erection, anxiety. Need help 14 hours later
Dr. Pragnesh - First of all, thank you very much for a well-written and comforting reply. It made me at ease.

Coming on to the procedure part, I heard there is something called 'dorsal slit' (which is a milder version of circumcision) as the skin is not removed but only cut at one end.
So, is that the right thing to go for. If yes, how major/minor is the procedure? And how much time it takes (e.g. for healing) before which I can resume trying sex?

Also, are there any alternative non-surgical ways which I can try first e.g. any steroid creams, exercise of penis or any other thing?

Thanks again and looking forward to your reply !
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 22 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

First of all it is important to have proper diagnosis of the condition. In my opinion if it is phimosis then surgery is the best answer.

Please first visit a doctor and get it diagnosed. Your doctor after examination is the best person who can advise on treatment part.

Circumcision is a safe procedure and done in adults in local anesthesia in most of the cases. The wound takes about 8 to 10 days to heal and you can resume sex after that once things are fine.

I hope this clarifies your concern.



Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor