Owl Image

Taking selomax for BP. Suffering from tremors. Will it be safe to take ciplar?

Owl Image
Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Question
i am taking selomax 25/2.5 for blood pressure which is under control. i am also suffering from tremors, which i think is essential tremor, in both the hands predominantly in the left hand for the last 10 years or so. i also mumble sometimes and my voice also cracks. i find difficulty in writing and signing. i have not taken any medicine for this illness. i have read that Ciplar is useful in controlling the tremors. i also have stage fright and cannot speak publically on stage. Can i take Ciplar alongwith Selomax 25/2.5. Kindly advise on the dosage and duration.
Wed, 9 Jan 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later

Thank you for postig your query.

Ciplar (propranolol) is a beta blocker, which is very effective in controlling essential tremors (including hand and voice tremors). The usual starting dose is 40 mg taken once daily, and it can be increased to 160 mg daily, depending on the response. It is available in a long-acting preparation, Ciplar LA, which can be taken once daily in morning, after breakfast.

Selomax is a combination of metoprolol and amlodipine. Metoprolol is also a beta bcloker, and it is not a good practice to take two beta blockers.

So, I would suggest you to XXXXXXX your doctor regarding the change of BP medications, if you want to start Ciplar.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Medicine) DM (Neurology)