Taking seasonique birth control pills and started spotting. What should I do?
What could possibly be causing this? Should I let a period happen to "reset"? Should I make more of an effort to take it at the same time down to the minute (does taking it at 7:50 one day, 8, 8:30, matter a great deal?). I'm interested in the seasonique for the 4 periods a year benefit. Otherwise, I feel good. I'm not moody or acne-riddled or putting on any weight. Additionally, I'm going on vacation in two days and would like to know if there's anything I can do to temporarily stay it off for a week?
First of all, I find it very common to have problems like you described with the very-low-dose pills. It was a good plan to move to a more normal dose pill. While many women can make it a full 12 weeks, it is not uncommon to have breakthrough bleeding using this method. What I usually tell patient is to try to make it a full 12 weeks, but if they experience some bleeding, to take a break for 5-7 days, and then restart for another 12 weeks or until the bleeding re-occurs. If you are going on vacation in two days, this would be a bad plan to stop it now, because you will experience breakthrough bleeding with stopping the pill now.
If this is becoming a chronic problem, consider going 6 or 9 weeks and then just take a break and restart. It might be that the 12 week interval is just too long.
I do not think that there is a significant difference in terms of an hour. I would, however, always take it at the same time of day in terms of your daily habits. Don't vary what you eat or don't eat around the time that you take the pill. Consider just taking it in the evening when you brush your teeth to go to bed ( I would say that more women take the pill at night).
I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have followup questions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What are the side effects of taking birth control pills
- On birth control pills dosage for taking birth control pills
- Low seasonique birth control pills
- Birth control pill spotting
- What birth control pill to take when lactating
- Missed birth control pill spotting
- Spotting after birth control pills
- What is birth control pills
- Birth control pills seasonique
- Starting birth control pills early
- Brown spotting after normal periods. Ovulation starts. No yeast...
- Throbbing in head, sore throat, dizziness, frequent fevers, mouth...
- Why does my vagina smell like a fart?
- Sudden terrible hot flushes. What is it about?
- Have bumps on vagina. Never had any sexual contact. Is this normal? How...
- Is it safe to take new drug esme that shrinks fibroids before surgery?
- Ultrasound showed bulky and heterogeneous uterus. Suggested progesterone...
- Noticed painful and hard nodules on labia. What should I do?
- On IUD. Feeling tired and pain. Suggested for surgery. Is it safe to...
- Pregnant. Started spotting and feeling constipated. Am I miscarrying....