Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

Taking hcg ultra drops for weight loss. positive pregnancy tests. Can this drug show a false positive on pregnancy test ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12677 Questions
I started taking the hcg ultra drops to lose weight over the past 5 days. I took three pregnancy tests since yesterday, all positive. I have been researching about this weight loss drug and in many articles and posts, people are saying yes that it can have a false positive. is this true?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Weight Loss
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your query.
Taking HCG drops to lose weight can cause a false positive pregnancy test. In the pregnancy, hcg is a hormone that is secreted by placenta and its concentration increases. This increased concentration is detected with various tests in pregnancy.
To confirm the diagnosis, you need to have an ultrasound scan to find out a gestational sac in your uterus. Alternatively you can get your serum beta hcg levels assessed to find out if you are actually pregnant.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor