Taking doxycycline for some time. Have frequent urination. Normal?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have been taking doxycycline for about a week or so... Now all of a sudden I wake up and I keep going to urinate, very frequently... Is this a symptom or do I need to go back in to the doctor?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

What for have you been taking this antibiotic?
Frequent urinating can be caused by urinary tract infection or high blood sugar level. If you suffer also from burning when urinating or abdominal pain, it is urinary tract infection. If you feel thirsty all the time and drink more water it might be diabetes.
It is advisable for you to have urine analysis and blood sugar level checked.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.