Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Swollen sclera after scratching. Used chloramphenicol eye drop. What is the cause and cure?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1977
Answered : 1169 Questions
I want some information regarding swelling of sclera after scratching.
The white part of the eye ball swelled so much within a minute n it became like
a culiflower visibaly in seconds. My son said, he cant see anything. He was sleeping and while waking up he was crying and rubbing his hands. What could be the reason, how long with will last and what are treatment required. The white portion covered all the black portion of the eye in a minute. So far, i have just used chloramphenicol eye drop and the swelling has subsided but its still itchy and i am scared it might swell at a very fast rate again. What are doctors recommendations?
Posted Mon, 30 Jul 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 4 hours later
Thanks for sending your query to us.
this is an allergic reaction.As a response to allergy there is a lot of flow of fluids in the local area,the scleral region being a very loose tissue it swells up immediately.
what you have to do in condetions like this that anti allergic drops are to be put in ,dexamethasone eye drops being the most potent and there by most effective.
oral anti allergics can also be supplemented as there by non steroid drops like astringent drops can then be safely used.oral anti allergics then have the advantage of long term control of the problem.
So in nut shell,wash with plain water,to wash away any local allergen,put anti allergic drops and light anti allergics can be given orally.
Any difficulty please do get back to us.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Swollen sclera after scratching. Used chloramphenicol eye drop. What is the cause and cure? 1 hour later
Dear Doctor,

What could be the cause of such allergy?

What is the name and how long it will lasts?

If it happens again and swells in fast rate when he scratches his eyes, what are first aids remedies?

Is there any chance that it will continue in future? What are remedies to prevent such in the future? And is there any risk of permanent damage in the eye tissues since it got spread about 3minutes covering the whole eye ball making it a big lump.

Is there any possibilities that the allergy is from pollen or animals like dogs n cats? If so, how long will the allergy lasts?

How often it occurs? Is it a one time or would it happen again and again hereafter? Should we need to be more careful in future?

And Doctor, what is the name of anti-allergy oral and drops since the patient is in Bhutan, kindly specify the anti-allergy?

Is such allergy to be taken more concern? Is it XXXXXXX to kids?

Thank you
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 6 hours later
Thanks for getting back to us and we also share your concern for the child
i will try to answer all your questions one by one.
the cause of these allergies is not known.It could be pollens animals or animal products as leather skin gloves or fur.
Allergy lasts as long as the body overcomes it.
if it recurres then as a first aid wash with cold water.
Since the cause is not known the allergy can always occur again,and seasonal ones recur in the same season.
this is only effecting the superfecial layers so it does not leave any permanent damage.
Usually it keeps on recurring again and again but not with the same intensity.
Oral anti alleric drug is levo cetrizen,oral drops and tablets,and overdose of these
Causes drowsiness.Another drug Avil causes a lot of drowsiness so we try to avoid it.
As the immune system of a child learns to fight these allergies usually by 12-14 yrs the body learns to overcome these allergies.
I hope i have answered all your questions,still you are welcome with any query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor