Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Swollen knee, soreness, ankle popping, hurts to bend knee, taking Motrin. What could it be?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 10442 Questions
Hi! My left knee down to the top of my left foot is very sore. The knee is swollen & also the inside of my lower leg, sort of between my XXXXXXX & calf. The top of my foot is very sore to the touch & I've noticed I hear & feel my knee & ankle pop quite a bit lately. Hurts to bend knee, stand up, or anything that puts any type of strain or pressure on this knee. The knee/leg pain started the beginning of December 2011. Some days are worse than others & the past 2 weeks I have noticed it getting worse. The top of my foot didn't start hurting til about 2 weeks ago. What could it be? I do not have insurance, so I have been taking motrin & putting ice on it. Is there anything else I can do? Thank you!!
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for posting your query.

From your description, the swelling and pain without any history of injury could be due to infection or reactive synovitis.
An MRI (Magnetic resonance imaging) of the knee is the best investigation to find out the cause.
Such symptoms mostly subside by taking antiinflammatory agents and mild pain killers like ibuprofen. In some cases for acute problem muscle relaxants like thiocolchicoside are needed after consulting with your orthopaedician.
If still there is no relief then oral steroids and oral lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate and chondroitin are given. Injections - intra- articular are the last options to be considered if all the above measures fail.

In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your knee- use a knee brace. Avoid weight bearing on the knee at all costs.
2. Continue taking mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS (pain killers) with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses to your knee will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.
5. calf and hamstring stretches can be helpful under the guidance of a physiotherapist after the acute pain subsides completely.
6. Generally we recommended, rest, graded exercises, rest and graded exercises to let you know the right amount of time you can spend on exercise without injuring yourself.
Right now if the above said measures do not help in bringing the relief then you must consult an Orthopedician for proper investigations and further treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor