Suggest specialist for treating a ruptured Achilles tendon

Posted on Fri, 10 Nov 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I believe I have a ruptured Achilles’ tendon. I’m on Medicare and want to avoid $$ going to both a podiatrist and an orthopedic doctor. Which specialist would I select for treatment? Pain is quite severe and has been getting worse for last month . This started 6 months ago, but I took Alene for discomfort.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
an orthopedic doctor would be the better option

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

An orthopedic doctor would be the best option. A podiatrist can help with many problems of the feet and ankle but not problems with the achilles tendon.

An orthopedic doctor would be able to assess the ankle area for issues with this tendon , imaging may be needed.

The treatment would depend on the findings

If there is a tear/rupture present, then treatment can be operative or non operative.

Non operative/non surgical treatment consists of rest, pain medication such as ibuprofen or naproxen, physical therapy (very important), orthotics (add on to shoes).

Surgical therapy is also an option.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Michelle Gibson James

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2001

Answered : 16809 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Drug/Medication ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Ibuprofen

doctor1 MD

Hi, for the past week I have been experienceing a weird pain/sensitivity on my left uppper torso under the armpit area which extends around my...

doctor1 MD

My left shoulder blade has been painful for 10 days now, I ve rested it, taken paracetamol / ibuprofen alternately every 2hours, tries hot & cold...

doctor1 MD

my face feels swollen and tingles (just on the left side, under cheek bone anong jaw line). There is no rash, fever, doesn t look any different...

doctor1 MD

My head has been hurting for like a week now I ve tried Tylenol ibuprofen and my dr even gave me two vicodines and still pain doesn t go away light...

doctor1 MD

I am 14 weeks pregnant with twins. For the past 3 days am having severe shooting pain in my arms and shoulders. It started with left hand now moved...

doctor1 MD

I'm 27 year old female from past few days I have got joint pains . especially while climbing up and down the stairs along with the cracking sound....

doctor1 MD

My left testicle has been giving me slight pain and discomfort for around a week now. Especially when I lay on my side to go to sleep, it floats...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

170 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction