Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
126 Doctors are Online

Swollen earlobes, bleeding with a crusty discharge. Treated with triple antibiotic cream. Looking for cure

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2272 Questions
daughter's ear lobes are swollen and bleeding with a crusty discharge. ears pierced in march. have cared for and cleaned ear lobes and only had XXXXXXX silver or gold stems. have treated with triple antibiotic cream, hydrogen peroxide
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later

Welcome to healthcare magic!
Two possibilities are there- it an infection or it is allergic reaction to metal.
infection can be deeper in the pierce and can come again and again.
The ornament might have nickel as additional metal which so frequently causes dermatitis.
I would advise her to take oral antibiotics- Augmentin OTC dose of which your clinician will know, for 5days.
Wash with common soap and make it dry with towel and keep it dry.
Avoid any metallic thing rather put plastic/silicon rings till wound fully heals.

I hope this advise would be helpful for you.

Still if you have any queries or doubts, please write me back,
I would be happy to solve them.

Wish you a great health!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor