Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Swollen and painful scrotum, done hernia surgery. Anything to reduce it?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 2272 Questions
my father had hernia surgery over 9 weeks ago. his scrotum is so swollen and painful that he can barely walk. he has been back to the surgeon on several occasions and he keeps telling him that it will go away with time. at his last visit he was told if he doesn't want to wait any longer, he could perform an operation to remove the built up blood and tissue or he could castrate him. neither of these options appealed to my dad, but i hate to see him in so much pain. he is 86 years old and he is getting very depressed and doesn't even eat much anymore because the pain is making him miserable. is there anything that he can do to help reduce this paid and swelling?
Posted Mon, 24 Sep 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 46 minutes later
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
Your father is having a complication of surgery, edema has collected and may be some component of orchitis is also there as a result of handling of tissues at the time of surgery.
If you do not want the aggressive surgery revised then the wait and watch is the only option.
For pain you can use tablet Ultracet thrice a day in supervision of your clinician till pain subsides.
It causes constipation so start Liquid Cremaffin 10 ml at bed time daily.
I hope you would be benefitted with the advise.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Swollen and painful scrotum, done hernia surgery. Anything to reduce it? 23 minutes later
Thank you for your prompt response. is there anything that will speed up the recovery process? Would soaking in a warm bath help at all? is there any anti inflamatory he can take while on the cumidan?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 30 minutes later
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic!
The supportive care in form of balanced diet with high proteins, local hygiene and keeping the site dry all the time would help.
If he has any throbbing ache then there may be a possibility of infection and he may need systemic antibiotics in supervision of you physician there.
An infection can be judged by a local examination by a physician and getting CBC and ProCalitonin level of blood.
I hope I have answered you query, if still any doubt please put up follow up with exact details.
I would be happy to solve your problem.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor