Suggested althrocin drops for a child having fever and vomiting. Developed lose motion. Stomach infection?

Dr. E Venkata Ramana

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 25 Feb 2013 in Child Health
Question: Hi, Our doctor has suggested althrocin drops for my 3 month old baby who has fever and vomitting (no loose motions but smelly farts). My 27 month old daugther had the same problem a week before and was prescribed a similar erythromycin antibiotic. On use of this she started having loose motions and was later diagonised with bacterial infection in the stomach. After giving bacigyl-N she is fine now. 1. Im now worried about the use of erythromycin for my 3 month old baby 2. Is it possible that he too has some stomach infection (Note: mother feed only). If yes how would erythromycin help in this? 3. What is the need to complete the 5 day course of an antibiotic Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 54 minutes later
Hi
Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic,
I went through your history and concerns regarding the use of althrocin drops in your 3 months old baby.
My suggestions to your concerns are:
1. Nothing to worry and you can use erythromycin for your 3 months old baby as
prescribed by your doctor, and erythromycin is a pro kinetic drug also and it
stops vomitings.
2. As he is exclusively breastfed, the stomach infection is rare, and erythromycin
will work for some bacterial causes of stomach infection.
3. The need for full 5 days course of an antibiotic is for the complete eradication of
the infection by bacterial pathogens.
Hope I have answered your concerns, if you have any clarification please let me know.
Regards.