Suggest ways to wean off Ambien

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Wed, 28 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: What is a good taper schedule for getting off Ambien 5mg?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Weaning schedule for ambien

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your medical questions

You have been taking ambien for sleep and now wondering how to stop taking it. You can start weaning by doing 1/2 a tablet daily fro one week then 1/2 tablet every other day fro 1 week then completely stop.

To help aid sleep while weaning you can use benadryl to help you fall asleep. I do not recommend using alcohol or other medications prior to aid your sleep.

Other aspects to improve your sleep do not exercise prior to sleep, stop caffeine early in the day and limit fluids at night so you don't have to get up at night to urinate. Also read a book before sleeping and not use any electronic devices loike ipads or computers as they may stimulate your mind and create difficulty sleeping. If you can't fall asleep right away get up out of bed and read some more. Don't stay in bed and wrestle because that will cause you to learn that the bedroom is a torture chamber instead a place of rest.

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any further questions