Suggest ways to determine the date of conception

Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: Hey doctor ,quick question , If a woman had an ultrasound scan done on XXXXXXX 2,2016 and it stated she was 8 weeks and 1 day pregnant, What are the possible dates of conception If they dated her LMP on April 6,2016.

1) Is there any possibilities of her conceiving the same week of April 6,2016 ?

2) If she got pregnant/conceived the week of April 6,2016 how many weeks would she have been pregnant if she got a scan done on XXXXXXX 2,2016?

3) By your experience have you ever heard of a woman becoming pregnant the week her LMP started or when her period supposed to come on?

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Dates and size corresponding on USG. Conception around 20 April.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Dr. Purushottam welcomes you to HCM virtual clinic!
I have carefully gone through your query, and I think I have understood your concern. I will try to address your medical concerns and would suggest you the best of the available treatment options.

1. First of all do not panic.

2. As per USG, with LMP of 06 April 2016,and period of pregnancy and gestational age are corresponding.

3. As per USG , conception must have taken place around 20 April plus minus 24 hours.

4.If at all egg formation was a week earlier,USG would have shown size of about 9 weeks.

5.Usually egg formation takes place between day 10 to 20 of the cycle. Very rarely it can happen before day 10 of the cycle. Frankly speaking I have not come across such cases.

I hope my answer helps you.
Thanks.
Wish you great health.
Dr Purushottam S Neurgaonkar

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 8 hours later
Hey Doctor, first of all thanks for your quick response in this regard. I read your answers and you said that its very rare it can happen before day 10 of the cycle. Which means that it can still be possible right? Also if such case can happen what would be the possibilities. Would the Ultrasound still show the same readings and information if this were a possibility?
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If ovulation and conception is earlier then fetal size will be around 9 wee

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,
Thanks for appreciating the answer and reverting back.

As discussed earlier, if at all egg formation has occurred before day 10 of the cycle, then Usg would have shown the size of the pregnancy around 9 weeks.

I won't be wrong to suggest that please get a good sex counselling session. This will help to know various physiological facts and steps involved in the process of sex activity and conception . It will help to get rid of various anxiety issues in this topic.

I hope this answer helps you.
Thanks. Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj