Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment to remove skin flaps at the anus

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 6185 Questions
I have had surgery on my anus for superficial fistula about a year ago. It left me with a tone of loose skin. I've been back 2 times for in office removal of some of these skin flaps . I still have 2 spots that hurt from friction on clothing and such . I went to my colorectal surgeon this last of the two removals and was asked if I thought this was a mental fixation on my anal situation ? I'm crushed . The one person that was sympathetic to my situation has now accused me of a questionable mental state as far as this situation . I am a XXXXXXX male 47 who finds the appearance down there very troubling . My question is do I have the right to have these skin flaps taken off until I'm happy and comfortable ? And if a colorectal surgeon isn't the best person going forward would a dermatologist help me ? Will the dermatologist think that I'm just being vain or should it matter ? If I'm willing to pay to have these skin flaps removed , and it will help with hygiene should I push forward regardless of what the des say ? I'm the one living with this psstering condition . Can my regular dr take these off in office ?? Help ,,,,
Posted Thu, 20 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You have the right to request for removal Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am so sorry to hear of these disturbing thought you have with the way your anal area looks like. I have taken a look at the attached image. For real, there is no physical pathology for surgery to be carried out on this area. But if it is what you want for yourself, it is your right to request for. Just like persons request for plastic surgeries on their faces without any medical reasons, you also have the right to request for this. It is true that it is really rare because this area is often hidden in our under wears and people are rarely concerned about how it looks. Given your sexual orientation, I understand how important this is to you. There are doctors who would deny this categorically because they think the problem is more of a mental disorder than a physical disorder. I think this is where your doctor falls. He was more comfortable operating upon for the fistula because it was a physical problem and the benefits were clearly evident to him. In any case, if your are not mentally satisfied with it, you cannot be considered as being well. So this needs to be addressed to offer a complete state of good health to you. I understand how much you want this removed, however you would need to go through some mental preparation to make sure you understand the exact risks of the surgery and what the advantages of no surgery are. Also, if you can come to terms with it and stay happy just the way it is, it would make great sense rather than going through all the pains that this requires. If this medical aspect should fail, then you would proceed to removal. The best doctor would have been a colorectal surgeon/proctologist. If you cannot find one, then consider getting a plastic surgeon who can help do this. Assuredly, it would be difficult to find doctor to do this because of the absence of a physical disease but, it is not impossible. Dermatologist and primary care doctors would be unable to address this condition. I hope this addresses your query fully. Thank you so much for patronizing our services and please do feel free to ask for follow up clarifications and information if need be. I wish you the best of health. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment to remove skin flaps at the anus 2 hours later
Do you have anyone you can find that specializes in this are (anal rejuvination?) in hawaii ! They all do vaginal but after 15 calls no one will help me . Im very depressed over this appearance . I was hoppeful my dr would understand but he didnt . Any referal groups? Anyone ? Mine as a opposed to this anus is vastly different!! And still have pain on raised areas
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Thanks for this follow up! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you some much for this follow up prescision. I am not surprised that many doctors do not want to do anoplasty. This si clearly something that has rarely been done before and am sure none of your doctors has ever attempted this on the grounds of aesthetics. As I mentioned to you, this is going to be a very difficult task to find a doctor that can do this and also accept to do it. It is entirely your right to ask for this procedure and the doctor's right to accept doing it or not. This makes it a lot more difficult. I will suggest that you patiently continue seeking but, the chances would be extremely low to come by. Unfortunately, I have never had a client who has requested for this or had it done. I do not also know of any doctor in your area who does this. I hope I have answered your questions though unable to provide that magic referral that you need dearly now. I wish you the best as you continue the search. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor