Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment to reduce ear itching

User rating for this question
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2547 Questions
My two year's old baby always complaints that her ear is itching. I took her to ENT specialist he prescribe me ofloxacin ear drops for six days but is not helping. please advice.
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Add an anti-allergic, rule out other conditions. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for your query. 1. An anti-allergic syrup will help reduce the itching. 2. Assuming that the ofloxacin ear drops were prescribed for an ear infection, it is now necessary to have a re-look into the ear to rule out other conditions such as: a. ear wax, flakes of dry ear wax, b. fungal infections, c. discharging ears or blocked ears with fluid buildup (the ear drum must be seen), d. a foreign body (esp. if one sided), e. an active cold, eustachian tube dysfunction, adenoid hypertrophy, f. skin related conditions, and do so on... 3. Keep her head propped up while she is fed as the eustachian tube is shorter, wider and more horizontal than in adults and milk (and cold, phlegm) can easily infect or irritate the ear. 4. It is important to note that itching may also be a sign of healing. It may also be a referred sensation form the teeth (teething), nose, throat, neck, chest or stomach. I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor