Suggest treatment to cure stye on eyelids

Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Wed, 26 Nov 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: hi, I am having cyst/stye on both of my eyelid. Could you suggest some good home treatment as I am pregnant and can't take medicines currently as my gynecologist suggested
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Warm compression will be of help.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Health care magic.

I am Dr. Dadapeer K, an ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye.

I reviewed your history.
It seems from the history that your wife is having stye on the eyelids of both the eyes.
Stye is because of infection of the glands of the eyelids.
The home remedy by warm compression will help.
I can suggest you to take a cotton bud and dip in warm water and massage over the stye, wash the eyes with warm water frequently to keep the eyelid skin clean.

Not all drugs are contraindicated during pregnancy.
If there is pain she can use analgesics which are safe in pregnancy like paracetamol or acetaminophen after consulting your gynecologist and obstetrician.
Antibiotic eye ointments like tobramycin can also be used in pregnancy if there is infection and not responding.
Eye ointments are preferred as eye drops can have absorption via nasolacrimal duct. However please discuss with your doctor regarding the real need based on the examination finding and requirement of antibiotics.

If possible send a photo of the affected eyes so that I can advice you more accurately after confirming the diagnosis.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
With regards
Follow up: Dr. Dadapeer K 16 hours later
Thank you Sir,
I have attached the photo for your reference. Also the drugs which has been refered by the doctor are: Crocin, Novamax, Ciplox eye drop. Request you to kindly suggest as currently 5th month of pregnancy is running.

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Crocin and Novamox can be used.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank you for the follow up.

I saw the photos attached with the question and they show multiple stye.
The treatment is by use of analgesics and antiinflammatory drugs, and antibiotics.
Crocin contains paracetamol and it can be safely used during pregnancy.
Novamox is amoxycillin, an antibiotic and it also can be used safely.
The use of ciplox is not advisable as its safety is not yet established. Hence it is better to avoid it.
Use of hot compression and oral antibiotics in the form of novamox is sufficient and I feel the role of antibiotic eye drops is less in treatment of stye.

Hence continue crocin and novamox as advised by your doctor.

Hope the information is helpful to you.

Thank you
With regards
Follow up: Dr. Dadapeer K 5 minutes later
Thank you sir, it really helps.
Just one more information required, for how many days these medication should be taken and after how many days it will give good results.
Hope this will not affect mother and growth of baby and is fully safe for both of them.

Regards, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Crocin and novamox are safe in pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thank you for the follow up question.

The drugs need to be taken for 5-7 days depending on the response.
The stye may take 1-2 weeks to resolve.
However sometimes the stye may become small and firm and may persist.
In this condition warm compression needs to be continued for 1-2 weeks.
Both crocin and novamox are safe in pregnancy.

Hope thus is helpful to you.

Thank you.