• question-icon

Suggest treatment lump at the back of the throat

Posted on Thu, 20 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello - This question is for an ENT. I am concerned about something in the back of my throat. I had a canker sore on my throat today but when I took a look in the mirror I noticed something weird. There a little round lump on the left side of anterior tonsil wall hidden tucked in behind the back of my tongue. It is definitely on the tonsil wall and not part of my tongue. If I touch it, it feels soft but firm almost like it is embedded and part of my tonsils. There is nothing like it on the other side at all. Is this a concern for tonsil cancer or something benign? See pictures here: https://postimg.org/image/5r5bzn29j/ https://postimg.org/image/4v7mwi2rd/ https://pixxxels.org/image/4js85phyl/
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Mass tonsil

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query,

I have seen the pictures. The swelling infront of the tonsil is possibly a mucosal cyst. The aphthous ulcers on the oral mucosa can be seen.
The swelling can be idiopathic or due to some trauma like due to a tooth brush. It is probably benign but best way to get confirmation is to get an excision biopsy done.
My advise is you should use a candid mouth paint and hexidine gargles 4 to 5 times a day for 5 days. Take a multivitamin supplements also.
Drink plenty of water.
Also, tell me is there any history of smoking or tobacco use?
Any difficulty in swallowing?

Please follow up with the required information so that I can suggest you better.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 3 hours later
No difficulty swallowing. No smoking history other than very, very rare occasions. No tobacco use.

When I touch the bump, it feels much like the rest of my tissue around it, maybe just a little more firm. Doesn't feel hard. Doesn't hurt. When I shine a bright light on it, it looks like it might have a slightly yellow/orange tint to it compared to the red/pink tissue around it.

Do you have any concern that this could be cancerous? Would you expect a biopsy to come back clear?

There a couple skin tag type things right around it which you can see in the pictures. Any concern here?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Mucosal cyst

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the information.
The mass doesn't look like cancerous at all but the best way to rule out any malignancy is excision biopsy.
In case there is any increase in the size or change in the appearance of swelling than you should visit an ENT SPECIALIST immediately.
The mucosal tags are normal tissue only.
Take the medicines as prescribed. You will definitely be benefited for the ulcers.

Any further questions are always welcome.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist