Suggest treatment for xiphoid process pain in the chest

Posted on Thu, 24 Aug 2017 in Lump
Question: I am a 65-year-old male who weights about 185 over 6 feet. i have had a prtrouding xiphoid process on my barrel chest since a child. Today, I fell flat on my chest when bending over and my protruding xiphoid process is no longer protruding. It is painful to the touch and when I bend over. i suspect i cracked or broke it. How dangerous is this? Or, will it heal itself if I watch what I do -- cut down on running, yoga, etc.?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably pulled Costo sternal muscle

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.

It sounds to me like a pulled intercostal muscle or costochondritis of Costo sternal joint.

I doubt that there is fracture since the xiphoid process is rarely fractured unless there was any significant trauma.

It would be good to avoid exercise till the pain subsides. Take nonsteroid painkillers like Paracetamol and rest and it should heal itself. it is important to breathe normally, and avoid shallow breathing since it may increase the risk of pneumonia.

However, if pain increases during rest, cough or fever occur, then you should do chest X-ray's to rule out some other pathologies.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 17 hours later
Thanks, doc. Appreciate, as have just moved and living in rural area without having IDed a doctor yet.

Any guess on the time that it would take to heal - again, cutting out major exercise and strenuous activity? And, if I feel this is worsening, I shall find a doc.

Best,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
1-2 weeks

Detailed Answer:
If this is what I think then it should heal within 2 weeks.so try to rest and take painkillers for that time. you can always see doctor and do tests if it worsens.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon