Suggest treatment for wound on shin after an injury

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
My 90 year old mother in law fell and sustained a wound on the shin of her leg. This was complicated by the fact that she was on Coumadin at the time of the fall.She has been taken off Coumadin since the fall. She was seen by her PCP who said to treat it with an antibiotic (can't remember the name) and she was on Ancef po for seven days. She is also followed by the VNA three days weekly. My sister in law changes it two days a week and I change it on the weekends. The wound went from being bloody with a yellow crusty exudate to now a beefy red color with no drainage. I was away for two weeks and saw this for the first time yesterday. I am wondering if this beefy red condition is showing progression to healing. In addition she has a followup appt.
with her PCP this week. Do you know anything about honey medi gel. A friend of mine who is a RN employed in a nursing home has seen it used on complicated wounds with complete healing. I am also an RN but work in a Ambulatory Surgery Department so do not have any current experience in the stages of wound healing.
Thank you in advance for any information you can give me.
Posted Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Red beefy wound suggests its healing good.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us,

I have studied your case with diligence.

In era of antibiotic solution honey medi gel may not be required now.

Continue dressing if there is no skin cover then skin grafting or flap can be done if large defect persist.
Take vit c in diet for early healing.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.
If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion.