Suggest treatment for wheezing and coughing in an elderly person

Posted on Thu, 21 Jan 2016 in General Health
Question: I am 72 year old male. I am feeling a cough coming on with wheezing.

The problem goes deeper than that. My 76 year old wife has stage 4 COPD and uses oxygen 24/7 I am terrified of giving my cough to her, especially if it is bronchitis which is what I fear. I have a history of getting bronchitis this time of year. Her pulmonolologist sait it could kill her.

What can I do right now?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you've got to be examined by a doctor

Detailed Answer:

cough with wheezing can be related to various causes including (but not limited to) infectious ones. Heart failure, COPD, asthma, etc are potential causes.

One of the most common causes of cough is a respiratory tract infection. Fever and other symptoms usually accompany such infections (runny nose, nasal congestion, sore throat, headache, etc). If you do have symptoms of an infection then you should try to avoid transmitting it to her by reducing direct contact and staying more than 2 meters away from her. Bringing fresh air every so often (opening a window) helps a lot. If you're comfortable with it, you can wear a mask.

In any case, since you've got a serious medical history yourself, you'd better be examined by your doctor as soon as possible.

Until you do, there is nothing more you can do except taking the precautions I've mentioned.

Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis