Suggest treatment for vertigo

Posted on Tue, 13 Dec 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: what is the best cure for vertigo?? and what should I avoid? in diet
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
The best treatment for vertigo is according to the main cause of it.

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear ! I have gone through your questions and I understand your concern .
To start a efficient treatment against vertigo it's Important to know why this happen. The treatment consist of : symptomatic medication and against the main cause of vertigo.

To do a good diagnosis of it it's necessary to do some neurological examinations to find out of its Peripheral Vertigo( problems from the inner ear or nerve) or Central ( from the brain).
Usually in your age without any trauma or any other symptoms , I would think about a Bening positional paroxysmal vertigo or Vertigo caused by Migrane or any medication ( since you did not write any I will exclude for the moment like a possible cause ).The first one we treat by doing a manoeuvre that it's called EPLEY -only a doctor can do that and can show you proper instruction how to do it by yourself.The second one treat migraine .

I will write here the symptomatic treatment :
Anti H1 receptor group of drugs
-Dimenhydramine ( you can discuss with your treating doctor about the dosage and duration.)
or Difenhydramine (Benadryl)or
-Odansetron.
or Benzodiazepine such as Diazepam,Lorazepam (less preferable from the patient cause of the side effect).
Lifestyle changes :
-Avoid salt in diet
Reduce sugar
- sleep with the head elevated on a few pillows
-Avoid caffeine , alcohol or
Dink plain fluid ( prevent your body from dehydration)
-reduce fatty food intake
-reduce food with thyramine ( eggs ,cheese, meat ,nuts ,seeds.

Hope I have answered your questions .If you have any other further questions I will be happy to help .
Take Care .
Dr Rudina

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Rudina Balliu