Suggest treatment for vertigo while on Metoprolol

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I've been on metoprolol for high blood pressure. However, I'm suffering from vertigo. I also notice that meloxicam which I am taking for pain can cause dizziness. I'm 76 years old. I'm also taking simbcort inhaler for a cough. What do you recommend for my high blood pressure?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

I carefully reviewed your recent medical history and would explain that although coughing may be triggered by other causes (including gastroesophageal reflux, sinus dripping syndrome, etc.) taking off of Lisinopril is a rationale decision.

Instead, other safer anti-hypertensive drug alternatives may be tried as well such as an ARB (Valsartan, Olmesartan, Irbesartan, etc.) or a calcium channel blocker (Amlodipine, Lercanidipine, etc.).

If blood pressure values do not return to acceptable range within a week, then a thiazide diuretic may be added (Hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg daily).

In case cough keeps being worrisome, then further clinical investigations are necessary (pulmonary function tests and pulmonary imagine studies, fibrogastroscopy, paranasal sinuses X ray study, allergy tests, etc.)

Dizziness may be also related to uncontrolled blood pressure values. It remain to be evaluated again after BP values control.

Hope to have been helpful to you!

In case of any further uncertainties, feel free to ask me again.

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri