Can turmeric be used to treat arthritis?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I just bought ground turmeric and put a spoonful in some cooked rice. I was told this spice would help with idernitic nflammation. I have been told i have tendernitic in my right ankly which is so painful. i may have to have surgery. I am not allowed to take anti inflammatory pills like advil or because i am on blood thinners . My doctor says meloxicam is not good for my heart. Will tumeric powder help with the inflammation and pain. My girlfriend said the capsules are not as good as the powder. Do you have any suggestions. The pain is so debilitating. Thank you
Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Gopal Goel 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Turmeric is not much helpful in established inflammation.

Detailed Answer:
Hi I am Dr Gopal Goel Orthopedic Surgeon.
Turmeric has anti inflammatory and bone strengthening properties but is never recommended as treatment of arthritis or specific conditions . It is recommended as a general tonic , more in lines of prevention.
For your ankle pain , Since you cannot take anti inflammatory medicines, I would recommend paracetamol , Hot fomentation ,ankle brace and physiotherapy. If there is no improvement then probably surgery will be the only answer.
Thanks for the question. Please feel free to ask any other question.