Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for vertigo, dizziness and blurred vision

Apr 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 6487 Questions
Hi! I am 35 years old and have been experiencing vertigo, dizziness, balance issues and blurred vision after a car accident that occured 2 months ago. They did an MRI of the brain and it noted that a mega cisterna magna is noted but that the ventricles and subarachnoid spaces are appropriate for my age. Ive had 2 mris of the brain in the past prior to this accident for headaches and both those mris never noted mega cisterna magna. My neurologist doesnt seem concerned and in fact didnt even mention it as o found it when i read the results.

He claims the dizziness, vertigo is all related to the whiplash injury and the herniated disc i have in my neck.

I just want to be sure this result is not indicative of a brain cyst. In addition since my prior mris of the brain did not show this i was wondering could this be a result of the accident?

I should mention that when my neurologist was reviewing the results with me he said that this radiologist where i took the mri tends to over read the films.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thank you!
Posted Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is not related to past accident.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

I agree with your neurologist.Neurologist is guiding you rightly.
Mega cisterna magna is so benign finding that many times it is ignored by radiologists.It is the reason for not mentioning in previous reports.

Mega cisterna magna is not related to your symptoms and it is not developed after the accident.
Mega cisterna magna is a normal anatomical variation and it is of no clinical significance as it is not associated with vermian or cerebellar anomalies.

Your symptoms are due to whiplash injury and herniated disc.It should be tried to treat conservatively in the form of physiotherapy,muscle relaxants,analgesics etc.
Surgery should be the last option.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor