Suggest treatment for urticaria

Dr. Suresh Heijebu

Posted on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: Hello, I am Suffering from Uticaria from last 10months. I visited skin specalist for the same but it seems like nothing is working. I am on medicines such as, montek lc which I used to take for 3 months and from last about 5 months I am taking allegra. From last 15 days I have stopped taking them, because when I read the sideffects of the above mentioned medicines, I had too.Kindly suggests any other remedies.
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
NEW DRUGS CAN MINIMIZE SIDE EFFECTS:

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir,
I have gone through your clinical history carefully and have understood your concern. I agree with you regarding the few undesirable side effects caused by these drugs,particularly constipation,sedation and concentration disturbances,sexual dysfunction and dry mouth can be quite troublesome.

New drugs have evolved which can counteract these side effects with ease. I advice drugs like Third generation antihistaminics like levocetrizine,olopatadine which are relatively very free of side effects and are more patient friendly.

Since urticaria in your case is more than 6 weeks duration,it is usually termed as Chronic urticaria,which also requires low dose steroids for improved outcome; for ex-hydrocortisone for short period of time,when used on intermittent basis,can dramatically control symptoms of itching and rash by reducing the causative inflammation and bring you prompt relief.

Creams like Calamine and Methanol taken in aqua base can help in soothing and relieving the itch. A tepid bath or shower can also have similar effects.
As urticaria has allergic basis,i strongly recommend that you avoid the aggravating and precipitating factors like tight clothing,sunlight,hot baths,alcohol,allergic foods,undue emotions,ill fitting shoes and tight belts.

In order to minimize the side effects take drugs in orally disintegrating tablet form using dry hands to place it in your mouth to start its melting,use the medications preferably at bed time.These drugs should preferably be taken on empty stomach or at least 2 hours after your meal.

Never take more than prescribed dosage.always keep these tabs under dry conditions and open the blister pack only at the time when you are about to consume the tablet.
Do not chew the tablet,instead let it dissolve in your saliva.avoid taking antacids within 30 min of taking these medications.Also avoid taking these tablets with fruit juices which can make them ineffective.

I finally also advice you to get screened for two frequently associated medical conditions with urticaria namely H.pylori colonization of stomach (it causes peptic ulcer) and Hereditary Angioneurotic edema which can cause similar symptoms, under expert doctor's consultation.

I hope and wish that the feedback offered by me is quite helpful and convincing to you.
Please feel righteous to ask any further queries,i shall feel humble to answer them as well.
Thank you.
Wish you good health.
Dr.Suresh

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj