Suggest treatment for uncontrollable BP levels

Dr. Noble Zachariah

Posted on Mon, 29 Dec 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: my g.p has prescribed metoprolol 50mg a quarter of a tablet I do have a blood pressure problem that varies from severe to normal at times I take tryzan 5mg I also take pradaxa 110mg also take tambocor 50mg XXXXXXX this year I suffered small t.i.a no problems but I do have a high pulse rate around 127 132 134 my heart specialist says the sinus nodes are not working sufficiently and is contemplating a spark plug should I be concerned about taking the metoprolol I am a very 75yr old male that has been walking greyhound dogs for 57yrs
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is a good choice

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HCM
Metoprolol is a beta blocker and it will help reduce the heart rate.
It would also help in reducing the blood pressure.
There is no adverse interaction with the other medicines you are taking now.
I think it is okay for you to take metoprolol, you may require to adjust the dose depending on the response.
Your GP would be able to do that easily.
Have a great day.
Dr Noble Zachariah