question-icon

Suggest treatment for ulcerative colitis

Posted on Mon, 24 Aug 2015
Question: I have ulcerative colitis. I started on predisone at 40 mg per day and every 3 days reducing it by 10 mg.
I am down to the last three days and have had no relief and i have bloody diarrehea I'm also on Apriso 4ea per day
can i start the predisone again but starting it at a higher dosage. 60 mg per day and every tree days reducing by 10 mg?

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Start prednisolone 60 mg ..

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

After reviewing your data I would like to say that you haven't started with optimal dose (60 mg of prednisolone) and you lowered to fast the dose of prednisolone. This is why you haven't seen any improvement jet.

If you were my patient I would recommend to start with the optimal dosage of 60 mg for 7 - 10 days and then you should lower the dose of prednisolone every week by 5 mg.

This is the recommended treatment for ulcerative colitis.

Hope this was of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Klerida
Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist