What causes anal bleeding during bowel movement?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 9 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Seeing Bright red blood
in toilet after bowel movement, also passing gas during the day.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
different possible causes

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Bright red blood is often related to the presence of hemorrhoids but there are other causes as well.

If you have a recent normal colonoscopy, in the last 5 years then cancer is not likely because this normally takes years to develop unless there is a family history or history of inflammatory bowel disease.

Other causes are--(1) diverticulitis . Diverticula are common as persons get older. They are basically outpockets or outpouches in the colon. They can become infected and bleeding occurs.
In most cases when this happens there would be other symptoms such as pain, nausea.

(2)diarrhea -- viral or bacterial infection causing diarrhea can also cause bleeding to occur

(3)inflammatory bowel disease- crohns or ulcerative colitis can cause these symptoms as well

(4)due to medication- bleeding can occur to anti clotting medication

If you have a history of hemorrhoids then this may the likely cause. Treatment would include --(1)stool softeners,
(2)avoiding prolonged sitting or standing,
(3) sitz baths with warm water and salt/epsom salt
(4)medication for pain

If there is no history of hemorrhoids, then you should be assessed to find the cause.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions