Suggest treatment for trichotillomania

Dr. Ashish Mittal

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 31 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: My Wife Problem is, She is Pulling hair from head, She feels itching.
I consult few Skin Specialist for this Problem,
As per Doctors Disease name is Trichitilomania. and they suggest for Some Good Psychiatrist for this Problem.
Problem is approx. 7 years old. some times she recover this disesase,
but from last Two years she is much tensed with this Problem. and recovery is almost nill.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is treatable.

Detailed Answer:
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     37 year old female
•     Duration of problem: 7 years, Exacerbation for 2 years.
•     Known case of Trichotilomania

Trichotillomania is an impulse control disorder characterized by the compulsive urge to pull out one's hair, leading to hair loss, anxiety and stress. It is frequently associated with Anxiety, depression and obsessive–compulsive disorder.

Treatment: Medical treatment and psychotherapy are indicated.

Medications:
-Clomipramine and Fluoxetine are helpful. But should be taken under psychiatrist supervision after prescription.

Psychotherapy: It is provided by trained psychologist.
-Habit reversal training (HRT): In this individual is trained to learn to recognize their impulse to pull and also teach them to redirect this impulse.
-Cognitive behavioral therapy
-Biofeedback

Considering your wife condition combined treatment (medications and psychotherapy) will be most useful.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Wish you good health.

Follow up: Dr. Ashish Mittal 29 minutes later
Suggest Doctors name Please.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
please share your location.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

Please share your city to help you better. If you are in XXXXXXX ncr then you can meet me XXXXXXX For info visit XXXX

take care.
Follow up: Dr. Ashish Mittal 13 hours later
Sir, thank for your promt reply.
I am residing at XXXX
But i can come XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
I can plan on 23-25 oct.
Pls confirm your availability and timings

Thanks
XXXX XXXXXXX
0000
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
I will be available.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

I will be available during that period. You can call my coordinator XXXXXXX 0000 for appointment.

Tc