Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

170 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for trichotillomania

Answered by
Dr. Ashish Mittal


Practicing since :2004

Answered : 1857 Questions

Posted on Sat, 31 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: My Wife Problem is, She is Pulling hair from head, She feels itching.
I consult few Skin Specialist for this Problem,
As per Doctors Disease name is Trichitilomania. and they suggest for Some Good Psychiatrist for this Problem.
Problem is approx. 7 years old. some times she recover this disesase,
but from last Two years she is much tensed with this Problem. and recovery is almost nill.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is treatable.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query.
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     37 year old female
•     Duration of problem: 7 years, Exacerbation for 2 years.
•     Known case of Trichotilomania

Trichotillomania is an impulse control disorder characterized by the compulsive urge to pull out one's hair, leading to hair loss, anxiety and stress. It is frequently associated with Anxiety, depression and obsessive–compulsive disorder.

Treatment: Medical treatment and psychotherapy are indicated.

-Clomipramine and Fluoxetine are helpful. But should be taken under psychiatrist supervision after prescription.

Psychotherapy: It is provided by trained psychologist.
-Habit reversal training (HRT): In this individual is trained to learn to recognize their impulse to pull and also teach them to redirect this impulse.
-Cognitive behavioral therapy

Considering your wife condition combined treatment (medications and psychotherapy) will be most useful.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Ashish Mittal 29 minutes later
Suggest Doctors name Please.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
please share your location.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

Please share your city to help you better. If you are in XXXXXXX ncr then you can meet me XXXXXXX For info visit XXXX

take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Ashish Mittal 13 hours later
Sir, thank for your promt reply.
I am residing at XXXX
But i can come XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
I can plan on 23-25 oct.
Pls confirm your availability and timings

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
I will be available.

Detailed Answer:

I will be available during that period. You can call my coordinator XXXXXXX 0000 for appointment.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  

Recent questions on  Behavioral therapies

doctor1 MD

why do I get disoriented feeling with my anxiety? I have anxiety with my Hashimoto's but here lately I don't feel like I'm here at all since I've got off the coladapin. I get really confused don't feel like myself really disoriented at times I...

doctor1 MD

hi I had extremely bad panic attacks my blood pressure was always 140 over 89 now it dropped its not gonna lead to a heart attack or a stroke

doctor1 MD

I have not been feeling very well I'm having a hard time leaving my house I'm having very bad depersonalization . I'm just feeling really out of it bad memory loss bad brain fog lots of neurological symptoms confusion I've had it in my car I done...

doctor1 MD

A licensed Therapist has said my son shows signs of ADHD, from what i can see this is true. Im having trouble with school realizing that its a process can't get him on meds right away. I thought Behavioral therapy would help instead of meds. I have appt to get him tested, but is there anything i can do with home remedies to help? My husband is overseas and Im at a loss of what to do to help right now.

doctor1 MD

Hello Doctor...i am writing this for my aunty who is in her fifties.she fears darkness n cries out loudly once the lights are off.i had a detail talk with her and came to know that she had experienced multiple sexual harassment and abuses in her childhood which she could not discuss with anyone.She also has genophobia after marriage and still in that condition. Now she experiences stress and tension for silly reasons. is this condition curable???is counselling enough??? or does she require medication???? please advice

doctor1 MD

My daughter is currently taking Paxil for anxiety and severe OCD. She recently found out that she is pregnant. She has been on 30 mg. for about 4years. She was told to take 10 mg. twice a day for a week and then 10 for one week. She could not deal with the change.
What alternative drug could she take that is safe. Her OCD's and anxiety are pretty intense without the Paxil. Thank you for your time.

doctor1 MD

i have one sister she's behaviour is diffrent. she is suffer for a diffrent probleum, she is doing any things clean & neatness,she is so many angry for others and family numbers. please any suggestion for send my email sir/mam.
my email : YYYY@YYYY