Suggest treatment for trichotillomania

Posted on Wed, 12 Aug 2015 in Mental Health
Question: Hello,
I did get advice here from a Doctor for my Trichotillomania. I am in the U.S, New XXXXXXX Mt XXXXXXX area if anyone has good suggestions for a therapist whos good with TTM or impluse control disorders. Medications have failed but I have not found anyone whos good for me to see and I am willing to see someone, I have great insurance but mainly I am ready to overcome this demon. Any information will help, Thank you
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you can search local psychiatrist with help of following link

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us.

Trichotillomania is generally treated by psychiatrist in liaison with dermatologist.
It requires medicines as well as psychotherapy. CBT- cognitive behaviour therapy is very useful in my patients.
Stress factors associated with this conditions should be addressed well.

No specific local doctor is associated with us which I can recommend you directly.I have mentioned one link below through which you can find psychiatrist near to you who can help you. you can modify search according to distance and insurance.

- Let me know which medicines you have taken until now. So I can comment on treatment aspect.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.

Dr.Chintan Solanki.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Chintan Solanki 16 hours later
Ive been on 7 medications, all of which made me worse, I went from not pulling, to pulling chunks out. I am hopeful to find a treatment that does not involve medications. Flumoximine, Prozak and Zanax are 3 and each one made me suicidal, depressed and I pulled any hair I had left. I have not found anyone good to talk to yet though
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Behavioral approaches are in general first line of treatment

Detailed Answer:

I really can understand your situation.Drugs are not so effective in such cases. If you are not comfortable with drugs do not take them. Ask your doctor also don't prescribe the same and try behavioral approaches. Behavioral approaches are in general first line of treatment.
You can search or ask your psychiatrist to refer you some one who is good at psychotherapy.
You need to search for psychotherapist.

I am sending a link to make you aware about behavioral approaches.

You can try some approaches on your own if you can read more about them on internet.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Chintan Solanki


Practicing since :2007

Answered : 2406 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Treatment/Therapy ,  

Recent questions on  Behaviour therapy

doctor1 MD

I have anxiety for over 7 years and I didn't have any problem talking to people and now I do

doctor1 MD

Hi there! As i recover from multiple anxiety disorders something occurs to me that id like to ask about. Recently, i got the feeling that i was...

doctor1 MD

Hi. I am 26yr old male my problem is related to anxiety , stress and depression , also when I took with people, I got scared as if they tell me...

doctor1 MD

My son is a recovering drug addict with severe anxiety and depression issues. Also, has massive panic attacks. Someone recommended dialectical...

doctor1 MD

adhd treatment

My son is about 38 months old. We consulted multiple doctors and therapists and havent received an positive response or improvement...

doctor1 MD

I've had jaw alignment problems all my life. I have sleep apnea, teeth grind, and facial pain. I have tried CPAP for sleep apnea for months, but I...

doctor1 MD

I am suffering anger problem, rage and severe insomnia. Please suggest some medication which i surely take consulting a doctor. I live in a place...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

168 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction