Suggest treatment for severe anxiety

Posted on Sat, 11 Nov 2017 in Mental Health
Question: I have anxiety for over 7 years and I didn't have any problem talking to people and now I do
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
More details are needed.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HealthcareMagic for your health-related doubts

I can understand your problem but please elaborate your symptoms in detail so that I can help you.

You have reported a problem in talking with people and have anxiety. This could be part of social anxiety. Difficulty in talking with someone would result in anticipatory anxiety which can affect lifestyle.

If you have taken any medicines then please mention that.

Medicines like SSRIs like Fluoxetine, Sertraline, Escitalopram etc are used in social anxiety and have great efficacy. Behaviour therapy with relaxation exercise is also equally efficacious. If the anxiety is persistent and bothering you then please visit a psychiatrist for the prescription.

Thanks and Take care

Please provide details in the follow-up.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 5 hours later
When I was in elementary school and middle school I was talking to everyone around me and speaking my mind now I get nervous when I'm around and I have a hard time relaxing and enjoying myself
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
The symptoms are occurring due to social anxiety most likely.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

I am sorry for late reply. The anxiety or nervousness you're having while you talk with anyone around you is occurring due to social anxiety only. If you have difficulty in functioning then you should consider taking proper treatment.

For situations that provoke anxiety you can take medicines like Propranolol on SOS basis. The drug will help to reduce your symptoms and you will feel relaxed in anxiety provoking situations.

Regular use of SSRI drugs which I have mentioned in last answer will over all control your anxiety and you will feel better. So please discuss with a psychiatrist for opinion.

Thanks

Still have more to ask please don't hesitate to ask again.
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist