Suggest treatment for tinnitus

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I am seeing a ENT Specialist for my tinnitus. I have some allergies and had a lot of sinus problems 20 years ago when I lived in MI. They can't find nothing wrong with my ears or sinuses now. I get mild headaches, dizziness, and the ringing in my ears is constant, but is worse when I get up in the am or when I get up from a nap. Most of all I hate the cloudy feeling.
that often is also early am. I am going to get more test but I was wondering why sex seems to clear up my brain . I am embarrassed to ask my own Dr. this question. ANNE’S MEDICAL HISTORY as of March 18, 2014

I had the usual childhood diseases: Measles, mumps, and chicken pox when I was a child, but otherwise was a healthy child until I was 15.

Had Organic Hypoglycemia, Insulinoma from 1962 till 1965. Surgery in 4/65 at University of Michigan Hospital. Continued to have Functional Hypoglycemia for awhile.

“71”-“74” Allergies started to bother me. I was living in the UP. It took several years before we figured out what the problem was. Before I left MI, in “93”, I had started having a lot of sinus infections.

“3/73” Car accident: fell asleep driving, was put on Ritalin then Dexedrine. Dr. thought I had Narcolepsy.

“75” I went off the Ritalin at another Dr. suggestion partly because I started have GI problems, IBS. I am always constipated. I have continued to have problems staying awake all my life, while driving .

“92” On workman comp. for 3 months because of a back injury. This was the start of a history of back problems.

Late “70’s” biopsy of both breast, cyst not a tumors and I also officially found out that I had low BP.

“80‘s” Had been taking Sudafed. One day took one dose and had very real chest pain. Went to Dr. and he sent me to hospital. The EKG had not been normal at Dr. office but by time it was taken at the hospital it was normal.

Late “80’s” BS was going from normal to 248 in an back down in 2 hrs, after I ate, cause unknown. Stress?

“88” “Guardia?” Scope showed gastrointestinal infection, never had loose stools, never really lost weight but lots of gut pain in upper area of colon but not like IBS. I got it while trying to go to college and working full time.

“89” car accident: broken L. collar bone, and possible bruised heart, slide on ice. Heart ok but if I am tired my chest aches. : I had L. arm and heart pain off and on for years since the accident. My chest and left arm will feel heavy and ache every time I get overly tired, stressed, or over work the L. arm.

“94” Married, moved to NM. Allergies much better but had Endometriosis: Surgery to be scheduled but treated it with herb and it went away.

“95“-“96” Large growth on my right forehead of unknown origin. Used herbal product killed the growth.

Winter of 1999. Bad sinus infection while working in the mountains. SOB while taking my daily walks. Dr. suggested I stay out of the mountains in the winter.

2004 Unable to take time to eat when working a traveling nursing job, 12 hours days, just ate a high protein bar. Blood sugar diving down to 40’s.

2004-05 SOB, Chest pain, left arm pain and pain on left side of my neck. Stress test was normal.

2011 Back pain is pretty constant now. I don’t usually take pain meds for back. It something I can live with. I have gotten over weight ABD. pain that resembles my IBS is back. Lots of gas. Urinary problems, unable to empty bladder but going a lot. Having to go a lot. IC diagnosed. I haven’t had problems with my Blood Sugar but I am not working either.
11/2011 Ovarian cyst found on ultrasound. Have had ultrasounds on regular bases since no change in size.

Winter 2011-12 Diagnose with two Hiatal Hernias

Winter of 2013 Fell out of chair fast asleep and got whiplash hitting my forehead against a Hope Chest

Dec, 2013 Put on CPAP for night time apnea. Realized I had problems for years. Even before I was heavy.

Spring of 2014 Started to have problems again with my BS. I get confused and disorientated a few hours after I ate. Eating a candy bar would relieve the systems but sometimes it be the next day before my head clear up.

Ringing in my head started on XXXXXXX 3. It started as off and on. Sounds like Locust singing.

July7 I went to UP Southwestern Hospital to be checked out for Insulinoma. Test showed clear. Even the normal Hypoglycemia checked out clear. I have been taking a herbal product and I was on my seventh week. I probably didn’t have Insulinoma again but the product has controlled my Functional Hypoglycemia.

The ringing in my head is constant now. Always loudest after I get up from sleeping.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please see the answer below...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query and an elaborate history. I'll try my best to help you out with this problem.

Tinnitus worsening during the morning hours, could be related to the Eustachian tube (the tube connecting the nose and the ear) block or dysfunction.

The dizziness and the pressure in the head may be because of blockage of the sinuses or nasal allergy.

Other conditions wherein the similar symptoms are experienced are Migraine and Ménière's disease.

We need to do further investigations to trace the actual cause of your problems. Hence, I would request you to get some minimal investigations done, such as CT scan of the paranasal sinuses and audiological investigations like pure tone audiometry and tympanometry. After seeing the reports I can suggest you the further management.

Awaiting for your reply....

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad