• question-icon

Suggest treatment for thyroid nodule

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I have several nodules on my thyroid, several accompanying symptoms to support a thyroid issue. I recently had a thyroid scan with radioactive material (not iodine, but something that behaves similarly to iodine). My GP told me it would be bad if the radioactive material gathered in my thyroid (& presumably nodules) and the technician mentioned something about taking a 2 minute picture vs a 5 minute picture. The way I understood what was being said to me was that if there was activity to see, the pictures would be 5 minutes long and if there was nothing to see, the pictures would be 2 minutes long. They were all 5 minute long pictures which suggests there was something to see. I crave salt all the time. My neck throbs and a dull ache is present. I have had ultrasounds on my neck as well to see if there is a change in the nodules. An FNA came back inconclusive and the Dr. performing that procedure said that there was a lot of blood flow in the particular nodule he biopsied, which leads me to believe it is benign. Just wondering what it means when there is a lot of activity in the nuclear scans. Last blood work suggested my TSH & T3 & T4's were low but just barely. I crave foods high in iron & salt.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thyroid

Detailed Answer:
The majority, ie approximately 92% or more, of thyroid nodules are benign.

If there is more activity in a focused area of the thyroid it tends to suggest over-activity. This is referred to as a hot area. The chances of cancer in a hot nodule are even lesser than above mentioned rates.

I suggest you await the final results of the scan you underwent and discuss it with your GP and preferably with the endocrinologist.
Several factors need to be taken into account when dealing with thyroid nodules,
The opportunity to examine the neck is one, ultrasound examination and blood testing along with FNA biopsy are others. The uptake and scan you underwent also provides additional information.
All this is collectively put together by the endocrinologist and further decision making as to the next step will be made jointly in discussion with you.
Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist