• question-icon

Suggest treatment for tendonitis in the thumb

Posted on Wed, 12 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: i have a prescription of indomethacin 50 mg. It is a capsule. I have dequiverins or tendonitis in my thumb. I would like to take it though a high dose. Can I break the capsule in half and mix the granules in jelly and take just half of it?

Originally the indomethacin was prescribed for gout which went away. I have oseteoarthritis, and formerly injured with bilateral tendonitis years ago in my 40 s. I think I can self treat at home, but found the indomethacin and thought of trying to reduce swelling in thumb and palm. It is not my mouse hand! It came on suddenly. Should I use ice or reduce swelling? The warmth of warm water in the shower seemed more helpful last nite. How often should i use the ultrasound?
I'm typing on a Flexpro keyboard now keeping my hands in vertical position. I've consulted in the workplaces, HP, LSI Logic, etc. years ago. Im an ergonomic specialist, whom designed wrist rests and sold them, since been in real estate. I was injured from excessive keyboarding working my way through renewing my broker's license and taking another long course used for property mgmt.

I need to resolve this asap, as I am expecting a job offer using some keyboarding any day. I have osteoarthritis, and knee issue, but dodged the bullet of any surgery. I am very sensitive to drugs, and cut pills in half all the time....but the indomethacin is a capsule.

I thot I'd try the 300 mg. of ibuprofen (prescription) originally 600 mil. 3 x a day. I could not believe I could actually type this with my Flexpro! I usually use a smartphone. The testing I did had to be done on my PC.

Please refer me to a hand specialist or orthopedist. I live in XXXXXXX CA in Silicon Valley near San XXXXXXX CA, near Good Samaritan hospital, San XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No, you cannot crush indomethacin tablets!

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed your information fully. You cannot dissolve/crush a capsule of indocid before consumption. This is because the pellets/granules are designed to be released in a particular way and crush time would interfere with this and the overall efficacy of the drug. I will recommend that you get 50mg capsules twice daily. 75mg twice daily would have been the perfect rise for you but the formulation doesn’t allow for this.

As for a specialist in your area, see Dr. XXXXXXX Aptekar, MD. He works at good samaritan hospital with over 30years of experience and god patient reviews.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 11 minutes later
thank you for your excellent response. I will be in touch with your referral.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Keep me updated!

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your kind words and keep me updated.

I wish you well.
Dr. Chobufo Ditah